This week in review – Week #80

This week in review – Week #80

This represents the 80th week that our company has been in operation.

Rehab #12 is finally wrapping up, we are now nearly 2 weeks over schedule. This is solely due to the fact that the electrical system was in significnatly worse shape than was originally estimated. We are not going to be SEVERELY over budget, but will be over budget none the less.

The thing to remember here is that with rentals even over budget, over time is still profitable. With flips some investors start to cut corners and end up with a potentially hazzardous property. That isn’t the case with us, we make sure it’s done RIGHT.

Property #5 is almost done, both sides are having the final work done to them (plumbing) and it’ll be ready to rent. Oddly enough a individual tracked our corporation down, showed up at my house and asked my wife if I would sell the property to him. I’m quite interested in doing that, so we’re meeting next week about it. It would be GREAT if we could sell this one and make a profit, however you never really know what might happen.

This week in review – Week #79

This week in review – Week #79

2015-01-09 09.59.46 (Medium)This ends the week of Jan 9th 2014.

Property #12 is almost done with rehab which is quite important as we’ve already secured a tenant for it.

Normally winter is an extremely hard time of year to find tenants but this one has gone pretty quick. This will put us to 13 of 17 units being occupied. Hopefully in the next week property #5 will have the water mains fixed and we’ll be able to tenant the property quickly. It will take us up to 15 of 17 units occupied, which means the banks SHOULD be happy with our performance :)

Our big struggle still is dealing with banks and finding one that will quickly refinance properties we have. 8 of 12 properties have no loans on them and are owned for cash. You’d think it’d be easy to find a bank that’d lend to a company in such a good cash position, but it’s kind of difficult. We did meet with a new bank this week who seemed quite positive on the situation.

A tiny little house (#12)

A tiny little house (#12)

DSC_0001 (Small)

Features

  • Single Family
  • ~900 Square feet
  • 2 bed 1 bath
  • MLS listed foreclosure

Financials

  • $12,750 purchase price
  • ~$10,000 rehab cost
  • $360 monthly NOI
  • 18.9% ROI
  • $40,000ARV ($17,250 in net equity after rehab)

Investment diary

This property is nearing the end of rehabilitation. This was the first property we’ve purchased that has had copper theft/plumbing theft while negotiating. THANKFULLY we had a pre-close property inspection which led us to discover that the plumbing and electrical service had been severely damaged from theft. We were able to negotiate a $2,750 reduction in list price to cover the damaged material.

The scope of work has greatly expanded from the original idea which was not to replace any wiring. Since the lines had been cut everything had to be traced back to the source and it was found the prior owner had used bare wiring to connect some lines together. Thankfully this was discovered and remedied, however makes one think about what could have happened over time had it of not been addressed.

Property photos (Pre-rehab)

Post rehab pre-clean 

 

Our biggest one yet (#11)

Our biggest one yet (#11)

2015-03-05 17.04.39

Features

Financials

  • $20,000 purchase price
  • <$20,000 rehab cost
  • $670 monthly NOI
  • 19.70% ROI
  • $65,000ARV ($25,000 in net equity after rehab)

Investment diary

This one was far more work than we had ever planned. It was slated for starting mid-Feburary with completion of early April as we secured a tenant before we even began rehab.

The two month rehab became a three and a half month rehab once we found out that there was a severe water leak in the roof that kept coming up foiling much of our work. The property also required significant re-wiring due to the dreaded knob-and-tube wiring found inside several rooms.

We went a bit over budget with it, however ended up with a absolutely fantastic home in the end that the renters LOVE.

One thing we did decide on doing with this home was removing the late 19th century oak mantles and replacing them with pine replacements. I hated removing original fixtures but due to the location and the fact it’s a rental we felt that it was most prudent. Had we of stripped out the oak fixtures inside completely (Baseboards, trim, mantles, banisters, ect) we likely could have recovered our entire purchase price on the house. However we opted not to, and just removed 3 of the 5 oak mantels. We expect to recover $3,000 by selling these. 

Property photos

 

2015-11-10 10.44.08 (Medium) 2015-11-10 10.44.20 (Medium) 2015-11-10 10.44.44 (Medium) 2015-11-10 10.45.09 (Medium) 2015-11-10 10.45.14 (Medium) 2015-11-10 10.46.47 (Medium)

A quick turnover (#10)

A quick turnover (#10)

1546373_848539275166582_2835754008608038152_n

Features

  • Duplex
  • 2100+ Square feet
  • 2 bed + 2 bed units
  • Distressed investor sale on MLS

Financials

  • $30,000 purchase price
  • <$7,500 rehab cost
  • $708 monthly NOI
  • 22..69% ROI
  • $55,000ARV (~$17,500 in net equity after rehab)

 

Investment diary

It was obvious to us that this property would be a great money maker, however we were not sure how much of one it would be till we were able to have a full inspection. Unfortunately this wasn’t possible during the bidding phase and we took it as-is. The hope was to get in with less than $2,500 of repairs, however we quickly blew past that when a major roof leak was discovered requiring most of the roof  to be replaced.

Even with the unexpected costs we were able to tenant one unit immediately as one unit was in rentable condition at purchase. A little over 2 months into the purchase and the roof is replaced and both units are producing income. We would love to have a dozen of these properties but will take what we can get.

Property photos